So, let me take you through my process in making the paper materials for my wedding.

First, colors. I have an affinity for dark green, and I wanted a contrast; something light that said spring, light, airy. And she loved it. It helps that there is a dark green called Hunter green (get it? GET IT?) and I even worked out the CMYK and web values for it, but as time went on, a dark green (with more green than blue) was what we kept with.

Secondly, fonts. I am a font junkie, and while I’ll be the last to say I know it all, being in the publishing industry for a minute impressed on me a “rule” which I took to heart. One sans serif. One serif. One decorative face. AND THAT’S IT.

The decorative font introduced itself to me; I didn’t really go out looking for it. I happened upon Desire¬†while looking through the Letterhead Fonts type foundry. If you look at that page, do you see the “Melissa and Patrick” sample? That yelled to me LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN, so I went with it. So many ligatures and opportunities to do some great work…if I reined in my desire (ha) to put ligatures on every character. I showed restraint, I think.

 

Serif was Nexa Slab, which had a ton of weights that could be used in a multitude of ways.

 

Save the Date

I wanted a picture we had taken to be the focal point, and maybe put a color treatment on. We tried a couple of different pictures, and even a shot at hand lettering, but the thought of putting a picture together with some sparse lettering informing the recipient when the wedding was, the city, and that the invitation was coming (in Jamaican patois) worked out well. I lightened a photo that we had taken on a trip to Barcelona and, knowing that it always printed darker than it looked on screen, bet that we’d still be recognizable.

One funny side effect; we didn’t put our names on the Save the Date cards. We simply didn’t think of it. And, if you think about it, everyone who was getting one of these knew one or both of us, right? Apparently, a couple of people we were sending invites to hadn’t seen us in a while, so they had to ascertain who we were by context clues. Who do they know in Evanston? Our return addresses said Chicago; who do they know at that address? Just who ARE these people?

Invitations and Envelopes

I decided early on to do the envelopes by hand, but with a caveat; I wasn’t doing the addresses, just the names. In the month or so I had to get it done, I was pretty sure I could get 150 envelopes done. Addresses were going to be affixed by clear labels, so that was going to work out fine.

Response Card

With the aforementioned iPad Pro and Procreate, I chose a brush that said “hastily drawn, painterly strokes”. Luckily, this came to me pretty early in the process, too.

Program

Well, all was not done. One more thing had to be done; the wedding program. I felt so good about how well the invitations had come out, I decided to draw something else. The process for this was pretty simple; I had an idea what I wanted to do, and, luckily for me, the first try came out great. Download yourself that program; it’s almost like you were there!

 

Printing done by the mighty Terri at Mi-Te Printing. She was awesome to work with, and got it done at a reasonable rate and quick turnaround.